Do you have high capacity donors hiding in plain sight? Chances are you do and you may not know it.
Most organizations are sitting on a wealth of donor intelligence data they don’t take the time to dig through. Today’s technology allows us to collect and analyze a plethora of data about our donors but what is that data and how can it help you reveal the hidden gems in your file? How can you leverage it efficiently to find your prospects, deepen your relationship with them and upgrade their giving?
Finding the “millionaire next door” and other high net worth individuals hiding out in your starts with learning how your donors are currently interacting with you. Here are 5 tips to help you get started:
1. Identify donors who donate to your annual fund as well as attend your fundraising events.
2. Prioritize the donors who are opening your emails over those that automatically hit delete.
3. Look for ways to engage donors based on their activity and interests. For example — What stories are they clicking on in your newsletter? Are they volunteering or advocating for your organization?
4. Look for those who are actively promoting or sharing about your organization through social media: liking, sharing, etc.
5. Use social media and search tools to connect and learn more about your donors. Set up a google alert for your top prospects, follow them on Twitter, and add them to your LinkedIn network.
Above all else, prioritize any self-initiated actions your donors take to better inform you. For example if you’ve had a donor contact you to give you an address change, congratulations, they just self-identified themselves as a key prospect for planned giving and monthly giving! If they asked their employer about corporate matching gifts or sent a message with their gift they’re telling you they’ve got an elevated affinity for your mission and they are raising their hand to be cultivated at a deeper level.
Hungry for more tips and tools to find high capacity prospects? Download this guide 21 Tips & Tools to Identify & Reach Your Best Donor Prospects as a free resource and consider joining me next Tuesday February 24th at 12 noon CST for a free webinar, Find High Capacity Donors Hiding in Plain Sight to uncover your hidden gems and grow them into major gifts!
The preceding is a guest post by Rachel Muir, CFRE & Vice President of Training at Pursuant where she transforms individuals into confident, successful fundraisers through classroom, custom and online training. When she was 26 years old, Rachel Muir launched Girlstart, a non-profit organization to empower girls in math, science, engineering and technology in the living room of her apartment with $500 and a credit card. Several years later she had raised over 10 million dollars and was featured on Oprah, CNN, and the Today show. Follow Rachel on Twitter here and Pursuant on Twitter here.