Looking for a last-minute way to get more donations? You’re in luck! Most online donors wait until the last three days of the year to contribute to their favorite charities. Give them a convenient way to research and donate to your nonprofit—all on the same page—by adding a free Donate button to your organization’s GuideStar Nonprofit Profile.
How to add the Donate button to your profile
- If you haven’t already done so, claim your organization’s profile. Once your request to manage your profile has been approved, proceed to step 2.
- Head to our home page.
- Click Update Nonprofit Profile at the top of the page.
- Click either your organization’s name or Edit Form (under Manage).
- Click the Confirm & Publish tab, located in the dark blue banner below your organization’s name.
- Check off all boxes in the Program Terms
- Locate the Options for Sharing section and check the second box, "Yes, I give GuideStar permission to add a Donate button to my GuideStar report page to enable donors to give to my organization through GuideStar." *Don’t forget to check off the first box if you want to opt in to our partner network of more than 200 philanthropic websites and applications.*
- Click Finish and Publish. The Donate button will appear on your profile within 24 hours.
We Know You’re Wondering
Are there processing fees associated with the Donate button? No and yes. GuideStar receives no portion of donations made to other charities through our site. Our two processing partners each charge a processing fee, however. The K Foundation deducts 3.99% per donation, and Kimbia deducts $0.99 per donation. This is standard practice for online fundraising platforms, and these fees are in line with those assessed by other sites:
- Network for Good: 3%-5%
- JustGiving: 5%
- PayPal: 2.2% + $0.30
- CrowdRise: 3-6% + 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
Not comfortable with the idea of fees? Remember that there are costs associated with all donations, even checks and cash. There’s bookkeeping—someone has to record the gifts—and transportation—someone has to take the donations to the bank and deposit. Plus, many donation sites provide tools to help nonprofits manage online donations.
We’re not saying that online donations are better than cash or checks. We are saying that online giving can be an additional source of revenue for your organization. The amount donated through giving portals is growing steadily, as is the number of donors using these sites. You can take advantage of this trend by adding a Donate button to your organization’s GuideStar Nonprofit Profile and opting to receiving contributions through our partners. As we mentioned earlier, both options are available to you at no charge.
Have more questions? Visit our support community for more information. We wish you successful end-of-year fundraising—from every source!
Madeline Kardos is GuideStar’s marketing and communications associate. She creates all kinds of content and leads outreach for GuideStar’s Profile Update Program. Before joining the nonprofit world, Madeline started in content marketing, writing for contact center software companies in San Francisco, CA. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Economics and Film & Media Studies from the University of California, Santa Barbara.