Since January 2012, we've done an annual round-up of the articles GuideStar Newsletter subscribers read most during the preceding year. Each year, articles about fundraising have predominated. An occasional piece about boards or regulation might make a list, but the topics that appeared most were fundraising, fundraising, fundraising.
Not last year. Several fundraising articles made the top 10, but so did pieces on state registration (OK, registration is related to fundraising, but from a compliance point of view, not a how-to angle), dealing with charity watchdogs, nonprofit accounting, and accessing Forms 990 on GuideStar.
It's kinda fun to see readers break the mold. It will also be interesting to see if this trend continues. Whatever the future holds, we'll go on seeking content on a variety of topics that we hope you'll find useful.
Without further ado, here's the GuideStar Newsletter top 10 for 2016:
- Yes, You Can Still Download 990s for Free, by Suzanne Coffman, published in our February 4, 2016, issue.
- FASB Modifies Not-for-Profit Accounting Rules, reprinted from the Journal of Accountancy in our September 1, 2016, issue.
- How to Deal with Uninformed Nonprofit-Watchdogs Around the Holidays, by Vu Le of Nonprofit with Balls, published in our December 15, 2016, issue.
- Navigating State Fundraising Regulations, by Suzanne Coffman, published in our June 2, 2016, issue.
- Drafting Fundraising Letters: Seven Top Tips, by John Killoran, published in our December 1, 2016, issue.
- Six Steps to Engage Your Board Using a Performance Dashboard, by Peter Manzetti, published in our March 17, 2016, issue.
- The Seven Cardinal Rules of Fundraising Writing, by Jeff Brooks, published in our July 21, 2016, issue.
- Top Giving Tuesday Strategies and Resources, by Adam Weinger, published in our October 20, 2016, issue.
- Less Paperwork, More Impact: GuideStar for Grant Applications, by Gabe Cohen, published in our November 17, 2016, issue.
- State Charity Registration Compliance and Regulations: Is Noncompliance Worth the Risk?? by SimpleCharityRegistration.com, published in our November 3, 2016, issue.
Thanks to all of the authors who shared their work, and thanks to you for reading the GuideStar Newsletter.
The preceding post is by Suzanne Coffman, GuideStar's editorial director and editor of the GuideStar Newsletter.