"The results provide surprising insights into the kinds of organizations that people regard as effective," stated Perla Ni, founder and CEO of GreatNonprofits. "Greenpeace, the Sierra Club, and other large environmental groups were available for review, but they didn’t see the kinds of results that their leaner counterparts did. For example, NRDC got only 5 reviews, whereas the tiny Hayes Valley Neighborhood Parks Group garnered 44."
The following nonprofits had the most positive reviews in their budget ranges or categories and were named the winners of the 2009 Green Choice Awards:
- Annual Budget Less Than $250,000—Hayes Valley Neighborhood Parks Group, San Francisco, Calif.
- Annual Budget between $250,000 and $1 Million—Slide Ranch, Muir Beach, Calif.
- Annual Budget More Than $1 Million—Chewonki Foundation, Wiscasset, Maine
- Best of Northeast—Global Links, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Best of Southeast—Solar Electric Light Fund, Washington, D.C.
- Best of Midwest—PLACE, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Best of Southwest—Center for Biological Diversity, Tucson, Ariz.
- Best of West—Foundation for Sustainable Development, San Francisco, Calif.
Read more about the 2009 Green Choice Awards
Read more about GreatNonprofit reviews on GuideStar
Suzanne E. Coffman, May 2009
© 2009, GuideStar USA, Inc.
Suzanne Coffman is GuideStar's director of communications and editor of the Newsletter.