The GuideStar Blog retired September 9, 2019. We invite you to visit its replacement, the Candid Blog. You’re also welcome to browse or search the GuideStar Blog archives. Onward!

GuideStar Blog

Don’t Do It: Don’t Start a Nonprofit

Do you want to make a difference? Great. Please do. But don’t start a nonprofit.

How Funders Reduce “Nonprofit Starvation” with Tech Funding & Data Best Practices

Between the oft-cited “nonprofit starvation cycle” and a movement to debunk the “Overhead Myth” that holds many in philanthropy back from supporting nonprofit operational expenses, it can feel like the state of nonprofit funding today is grim.

We think that powerful examples of best practices can help turn the tide. So let’s talk about what’s going right. Some leading funders are increasing nonprofit capacity and supporting critical operations in key ways. 

4 Beliefs That Limit Corporate Funding

What keeps nonprofits from approaching corporate funders for support? Is there a difference in cultivating relationships with corporate funders vs private foundations and individual donors? What can a nonprofit do to break into this consistent yet, often elusive funding stream? 

New Rules Affecting Donor-Advised Funds: December 2006 Question of the Month Results

Note: The following discussion is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to serve as legal or tax advice. For specific information about provisions of the Pension Protection Act of 2006 that affect donor-advised funds, consult your attorney or tax advisor.

The December 2006 Question of the Month asked, "Are you aware of the provisions affecting donor-advised funds contained in the Pension Protection Act of 2006?" A little over half—52 percent—of participants said they were. The remaining 48 percent replied that they were not. Here, then, is a brief summary.

Extending Reach through Funding Partnerships

Many grantmakers struggle with the question of how they can best focus and maximize the impact of their grantmaking. Although this struggle exists throughout the foundation community, it is especially true among small foundations, which are often limited in both time and resources. Should these resource challenges, however, constrict a foundation's ability to work within specific fields of interest, or within specific communities? We at First Nations Development Institute would answer "no."