The GuideStar Blog retired September 9, 2019. We invite you to visit its replacement, the Candid Blog. You’re also welcome to browse or search the GuideStar Blog archives. Onward!

GuideStar Blog

Yes, Virginia, We Have Tutorials: April Question of the Month Results


We've long suspected that users aren't aware of everything available on GuideStar. That's OK, as long as people can find what they need, when they need it. We also suspected, however, that users didn't realize that we have tools to help them do just that. Thus, the April Question of the Month asked, "Have you ever used one of GuideStar's tutorials or demos?"

Our suppositions proved correct: only 11 percent of respondents said they had. The remaining 89 percent reported unanimously that they did not know that GuideStar had tutorials and demos.

We do—10 of them, in fact. They're available to all users, even those who have not registered with our site. Here's how you can get to them and brief descriptions of what you'll find.

Four Easy Steps

Step 1. Click on the Help link in the upper right of the page. The link appears on every page, whether or not you are logged in.

Step 2. Click on the Tutorials link in the right navigation column.

Step 3. Click on the tutorial or demo you want to view.

Step 4. Most of the tutorials progress automatically, but you can use the buttons on the right to go through at your own pace. You may need to scroll to the far right to see the buttons.

Different Tutorials for Different Needs

Our tutorials and demos fall into four categories. The Search, Sort, and Retrieval tutorials help you use the site. If you are new to GuideStar or are not familiar with the different sections of the site, check out the New User Tutorial. To learn what information and features are available to you at each of our three levels of service, consult the GuideStar Premium Demo, GuideStar Select Demo, and GuideStar Basic Demo.

Our Get More from GuideStar tutorials let you learn more about two of our services, GuideStar Grant Explorer and Salary Search, and about managing multi-seat subscriptions.

The Special Services for Nonprofits tutorials provide instructions for completing the GuideStar Information Form and uploading documents through our eDocs service.

Finally, the illustrated IRS Form 990 tutorial helps you decode the mysteries of this informative but often daunting return.

Other "Help" Features

We also have Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), a glossary, search tips, and a site map. All are accessible by clicking on Help, then selecting the pertinent link in the right navigation bar. Try them out the next time you're stumped—they may have exactly what you need.

Suzanne E. Coffman, May 2006
© 2006, Philanthropic Research, Inc. (GuideStar)

Suzanne Coffman is GuideStar's director of communications and editor of the Newsletter.

Topics: Products and Services