Last week, we excitedly announced the launch of our new GuideStar Nonprofit Profiles. And almost immediately, we started to see comments like "Oh, you can't download the 990s on GuideStar for free anymore." Let me hasten to correct that misunderstanding:
You can still download 990s on GuideStar for free.
You still have to register with our site to view the 990s, but we didn't take anything away with our new profiles.
- You can still download the three most recent 990s we've received from the IRS for a nonprofit for free.
- GuideStar Premium and GuideStar Pro subscribers can still access all 990s in our database.
How to Get to the 990s in Our New Profiles
We've updated the 990s section of the profiles to stand out more. Here's how you can find them:
1. Make sure you're logged in on GuideStar.
2. Look to the right under the yellow "Operations" tab when you first open a Nonprofit Profile.
3. If we have 990s for that nonprofit, you'll see a "Tax Forms (Forms 990)" subheading, with a green "Forms 990" button beneath it.
4. Click the button, then click the link for the 990 you want to view.
And there you have it. If you have additional questions, please let us know.
The preceding post is by Suzanne Coffman, GuideStar’s editorial director. See more of Suzanne’s sector findings and musings on philanthropy here on our blog.